Honey Buttermilk Bread Recipe
Prep Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours
Yield: 2 loaves, 24 slices
Calories per serving: 153
Fat per serving: 2.4
Tender buttermilk white bread with the delicate flavor of honey. The stronger the honey the better the flavor so use pure raw honey, buckwheat or other strong flavor.
- 1 envelope yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup warm water
- pinch of ginger (helps activate the yeast)
- 2 cups warm buttermilk
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled so that it is warm to the touch but not hot.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 cups white bread flour
- Mix the ginger, sugar,yeast, and water and set aside for five minutes.
- Mix buttermilk, honey, salt, baking soda in with the yeast mixture.
- Add three cups of flour and mix until smooth. On an electric mixer it is about 5 minutes on low speed.
- Mix in butter until it is totally incorporated into batter.
- Now, begin to add the rest of the flour, one cup at a time, keeping mixer on low speed.
- When dough pulls from the sides of the bowl remove it from the mixer to a floured surface and knead until elastic and smooth.
- Place in greased bowl, turn to grease the top, cover and allow to rise for 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch down and form into two loaves. Place in greased loaf pans and grease tops.
- Cover, and allow to rise for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Bake for 30 minutes, covering tops with foil if they brown too fast.
- Remove loaves from oven and brush with melted butter.
- Allow to cool in pans for 10 minutes.
- Turn out and cool completely on a rack. Cover the loaves if you want soft crusts.